Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ok, it didn't quite work out like I expected.

But, I'm still kind of pleased with the results. Below is a photo of the salt bar disaster cooking in a crockpot. It is a lot smoother than normal cold process soap would be. In fact, though I do rebatch cold process, it can be a bear.

Once I got it in the mold, the top roughened up a bit because this soap starts to harden quickly. This is my first salt bar rebatch and I had to glop it in the mold and spread it out like regular CP. Then, I smoothed it out and put my dividers in.

The finished soap. While she's not beautiful like her sister Amazonia below, she's still a great bar. I washed my hands with her and was very pleased with the lather and feel. I really love salt bars! They are such a nice change from regular soap.

I'm not sure what to name her though. Any ideas? She has a clean scent with soft floral notes. Very spa like. Spa Rocks? ;) I'll have to think about it. Ideas are appreciated.

Amazonia out of the mold. A lady of the jungle whose fragrance reminds one of exotic herbs, rainwater, and floral gardens. She will be ready for sale around February 10.


A little more about salt bars... You'll find that they are very hard, like rocks literally. People assume they are rough and exfoliating, but this is not the case if fine salt is used. Salt bars start becoming like smooth pebbles after the first wash. Depending upon how they are made, they can have a light, thin, creamy lather or a fabulously, bubbly lather that turns more creamy as you wash. If you haven't tried a salt bar (also called spa bars) you should. I highly recommend them!

6 comments:

Tizzalicious said...

Spa rocks sounds like a good name to me, they do look like rocks!

High Desert Diva said...

I haven't even heard of salt bars before...cool
I'm learning many things reading all these blogs!

Andriques said...

Looks good enough to eat!

Aria Images said...

Those both look great. Just wondering, would you recommend using them on very dry skin? I would love to try them but have extremely dry skin, especially on my hands and thighs.

The Funk Soap Co. said...

I personally don't have dry skin, but many people that use them do. Most people add excess oils (superfat) to salt bars and other soaps so the aren't as harsh as a soap that has no superfat.

I do get more dry in the winter, especially on my face. Regular soap can bother me, but these do not. I don't think it could hurt to give one a shot. :)

blackmustard said...

I had never heard of salt bars. Amazonia looks gorgeous, and the scent description sounds amazing. I can't believe I haven't seen your etsy shop before... Off to check it out now!

Also, thanks for commenting on my blog. I will check out the book you recommended!